Weight Loss Using The Keto Diet
If you are trying to lose some weight, then you’ve probably heard of the ketogenic or keto diet.
This is due to the fact that the keto diet Is one of the most popular ways a person can stay healthy and lose weight quickly.
After reading this article you will understand the meaning of the keto diet and you’ll also be presented with a 7-day sample diet.
What is the Keto Diet
The keto diet is a comprehensive and scientific low carbohydrate, moderate protein and high-fat diet program that puts the body into a metabolic state known as ketosis.
Ketosis is a metabolic state in which some of the body’s energy supply comes from ketone bodies in the blood. It is normal during fasting or when someone is trying to lose weight using a keto diet. Ketosis has several potential benefits; associated with fast weight loss, health or performance.
Studies show that adopting this diet will help in the treatment of certain conditions such as type 2 diabetes and cognitive decline.
The basis of any keto diet is a low carbohydrate, high fat, and moderate protein content. When on a keto diet, you are not supposed to consume more than 50g of carbohydrates per day. while fats should deliver about 70% of your total calory intake, and protein 20%. This low carb diet forces your body to look for another source of fuel–fat.
The Keto diet can help with hunger and it also increases satiety, which can be particularly helpful when trying to lose weight.
The Meal Plan
Trying to achieve weight loss using the ketone diet can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be hard.
You should just focus on reducing the number of carbohydrates in your food while increasing fats and proteins. You can achieve this by sticking to keto friendly foods and avoiding those that are not.
Keto friendly foods include:
- Eggs: Pastured, organic whole eggs make the best choice.
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey.
- Fatty fish: Wild-caught salmon, herring and mackerel.
- Meat: Grass-fed beef, venison, pork, organ meats, and bison.
- Full-fat dairy: Yogurt, butter, and cream.
- Full- fat cheese: Cheddar, mozzarella, brie, goat cheese, and cream cheese.
- Nuts and seeds: Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and flaxseeds.
- Nut butter: Natural peanut, almond, and cashew butter.
- Healthy fats: Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut butter, and sesame oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados can be added to almost any meal or snack.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Greens, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Condiments: Salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and spices.
Non-keto friendly foods:
You can achieve weight loss using the keto diet by avoiding these foods
- Bread and baked goods: White bread, whole-wheat bread, crackers, cookies, doughnuts, and rolls.
- Sweets and sugary foods: Sugar, ice cream, candy, maple syrup, agave syrup, and coconut sugar.
- Sweetened beverages: Soda, juice, sweetened teas and sports drinks.
- Pasta: Spaghetti and noodles.
- Grains and grain products: Wheat, rice, oats, breakfast cereals and tortillas.
- Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, corn, peas, and pumpkin.
- Beans and legumes: Black beans, chickpeas, lentils, and kidney beans.
- Fruit: Citrus, grapes, bananas and pineapple.
- High-carb sauces: Barbecue sauce, sugary salad dressings, and dipping sauces.
- Certain alcoholic beverages: Beer and sugary mixed drinks
If you abide by these do’s and dont’s you can achieve weight loss using the keto plan beyond your wildest dreams.
A 7-day keto diet
Below is an example of what a keto diet looks like
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs in butter on a bed of lettuce topped with avocado
- Snack: Sunflower seeds
- Lunch: Spinach salad with grilled salmon
- Snack: Celery and pepper strips dipped in guacamole
- Dinner: Pork chop with cauliflower mash and red cabbage slaw
- Breakfast: Bulletproof coffee (made with butter and coconut oil), hard-boiled eggs
- Snack: Macadamia nuts
- Lunch: Tuna salad stuffed in tomatoes
- Snack: Roast beef and sliced cheese roll-ups
- Dinner: Meatballs on zucchini noodles, topped with cream sauce
- Breakfast: Cheese and veggie omelet topped with salsa
- Snack: Plain, full-fat Greek yogurt topped with crushed pecans
- Lunch: Sashimi takeout with miso soup
- Snack: Smoothie made with almond milk, greens, almond butter, and protein powder
- Dinner: Roasted chicken with asparagus and sautéed mushrooms
- Breakfast: Smoothie made with almond milk, greens, almond butter, and protein powder
- Snack: Two hard-boiled eggs
- Lunch: Chicken tenders made with almond flour on a bed of greens with cucumbers and goat cheese
- Snack: Sliced cheese and bell pepper slices
- Dinner: Grilled shrimp topped with a lemon butter sauce with a side of asparagus
- Breakfast: Fried eggs with bacon and a side of greens
- Snack: A handful of walnuts with a quarter cup of berries
- Lunch: Grass-fed burger in a lettuce “bun” topped with avocado and a side salad
- Snack: Celery sticks dipped in almond butter
- Dinner: Baked tofu with cauliflower rice, broccoli, and peppers, topped with a homemade peanut sauce
- Breakfast: Baked eggs in avocado cups
- Snack: Kale chips
- Lunch: Poached salmon avocado rolls wrapped in seaweed (rice-free)
- Snack: Meat-based bar (turkey or pork)
- Dinner: Grilled beef kabobs with peppers and sautéed broccolini
- Breakfast: Eggs scrambled with veggies, topped with salsa
- Snack: Dried seaweed strips and cheese
- Lunch: Sardine salad made with mayo in half an avocado
- Snack: Turkey jerky (look for no added sugars)
- Dinner: Broiled trout with butter, sautéed bok choy
As you can see when trying to achieve weight loss using a keto diet, the diet itself doesn’t have to be monotonous, there can be varied.
The popularity of the ketogenic diet has made it easier than ever to find different types of appealing and healthy keto diet plans online.
Using this article as a guide to get started on the keto diet can set you up for success and make weight loss with the keto plan a breeze.